2.8.05

Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! (Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider!)

read this article about my friend Phil's restaurant, Slows Bar BQ, which recently appeared in the Detroit News. I've seen the inside and tasted the food. Amazing! I had no idea you could make so many types of ribs, nor have I ever tasted mac and cheese like they make. Their plan is to have a bunch of different dipping sauces for the BBQ--I've tasted a few apple-based ones that were superb. As Phil says about the chef (and restaurant partner), "Perrone is a genius." Some words from Mr. Perrone on barbecue:

Barbecue is the essence and manifestation of comfort. Barbecue is food that is cooked very slowly with low temperature and wood smoke. This is the theme that we want to be felt throughout the restaurant, from the front door to the back. Barbecue is slow food. Barbecue is something that requires patience to get it right and makes the wait that much more worth it when it comes out of the pit. Barbecue is an American institution and a way of life. Barbecue is not fancy; it’s meant to be sloppy and kind of messy. You’re supposed to use your hands and take your time to enjoy it. Barbecue makes you feel good and reminds you of good times. Barbecue is roots food. And yes, it is good for the soul.


I give them props for having vegetarian options at a BBQ restaurant and for being open on Sundays (a curious rarity in Detroit). So, opening some time this fall in
Corktown: Slows Bar BQ--the coolest new restaurant in Detroit. go there. ask for Phil. he'll treat you right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home