19.7.05

trend watch - summer 2005

ah summer! when people stop sacrificing their cars to road salt and the elements and instead revive their automotive pride. Classic car shows abound and low riders troll the circuit around belle isle emanating the throbbing bass that is the mating call of a generation. Oh, perhaps southeastern michigan isn't the vehicular style barometer it once was, having surrendered that title to california years ago. but I think it still has the moxy to display some flair and pizzazz, if only from the deep pride and love that reverberates inside michigan drivers.

with that, I bring you this Trend Watch element for the Summer of Ought-Five. Now, I've noticed this trend burgeoning for quite some time, but haven't really seen it blossom until summer melted away the slush and snow and people started rolling in their five-point-ohs. The mighty new force in vehicle styling? plastic spinner wheel covers. HOTT. Every time I see them I am transfixed; laughing and pointing like a child seeing a monkeys antics for the first time. But always I am left with the unsettling question: is the owner of the vehicle adding those plastic spinners with no trace of irony, or do they know how ridiculous they really are? Seriously, are they thinking, "Man, some $3,000 chrome spinners sure would help me get the ladies, but maybe these $20 plastic lawn mower blades will do the trick." I have to guess it's at least a mix of the two, because inevitably these plastic fan blades are added to the most unpimpable vehicles (read: 1994 Ford Tempo).


regardless of their motives, these car owners have unknowingly brought joy to my life on many an occasion. I thank them for their small part in making this a great and memorable summer.

4 Comments:

Blogger David Chin said...

you’ll need this firefox theme.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom loves those spinner wheels! Her birthday is coming up, I bet they'd look great on her PT Cruiser. Hmmmm....

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't own a car anymore, but the last I drove was a 1992 Ford Tempo. Are you making fun of me? I don't think you should ridicule any part of your audience. Please have a little more awareness.
P.S. I'm sittin nearly naked in the intense NY heat on an exercise ball. Does my opinion still count?

1:01 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

that tempo was already pimpin' because it could run on compressed natural gas.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home