21.7.05

evil empire watch #264

it's a groggy morning, for no apparent reason, and I'm trying to jump-start my cobwebby brain so I can get meaningful work done, when I have this amusing exchange with a co-worker.

M: "That's not a McDonald's coffee cup, is it?"


J: "Um...no."


[I happen to be drinking tea--and my cup happens to have rainbow-colored hot air balloons on it]


M: "Oh. I thought you were trying their new fancy coffee."


J: "What, their Fancy Faux-Starbucks Roast, or whatever they call it?"


M: "Yeah. The Prime Rib Roast. It's got beef flavor in it."


J: "That's why it's so good."


This is funny to me, because ever since the Beef Tallow In The Fries episode at McDonalds I have had this theory that anything that tastes inordinately good, especially processed food, must have beef drippings in it. For example: a Wendy's frosty. Just soft serve ice cream in a cup, right? but sooo damn good. "Where's the beef?" indeed. It's either that or they sprinkle a little crack in each cup. You think I'm kidding, but do the new post-beef McDonalds fries taste as good as the fully lard-laden versions they replaced?

exactly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I hate to be a quibble bibble, but the fries do still have beef juice in them: they're just not fried in animal fat anymore. Maybe I mis-read what you wrote, but I got all excited because I thought maybe they took the au jus out after the lawsuit. So I went to the McDonald's site and checked their ingredients. Sadly, the juice is still loose. No fries for K-Ron. Oh, well. If this was the dissapointment that my astrological page-a-day calendar was referring to, then I got off easy. I hope yours is equally innocuous, Mr. Birthday Sharer. BYEEEE!

8:09 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

so sad. actually, I didn't even read the story I linked well enough to realize that it was about the beef flavor (more recent), not the fried-in-beef-fat (older) story. oh McDonalds--you constantly let us down.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jeffery said...

And, most frozen pre-cut french fries are coated in beef or pork fat as a preservative and 'flavor-enhancement'. So, when you go out to a sit-down restaurant and order fries because you're vegetarian and you don't do your homework, you'll be eating cow fat!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home