11.5.05

this post is brought to you by letters and non-letters alike

two thoughts on kanji today:

- the amazing thing about computer icons, the homogenization of culture, and microsoft is that I can use a Japanese computer running windows (with no recognizable words on the screen) and do anything I normally would on a computer. If a dialogue box pops up, I click my yes/no/don't ask again like I can actually read what it says.


- I finally found what is so infernal about Japanese keyboards. They're all well and good, typing letters like I am used to, when you hit this one button that is next to the spacebar. What is so devilish about this particular button? For one, it is actually located where I *normally* hit the spacebar, and the spacebar is shifted over slightly to the left. Secondly, it is one of about seven or eight buttons on the keyboard that only have kanji on them, so I have no idea what its intended purpose is, and when you hit it all your letters become kanji. It's like the evil twin of hitting the Insert button and changing your typing into "overwrite" instead. Now, you'd think that once you hit the button, you just hit it again to go back to letters, right? not so fast, tourist! In fact, after much trial and error, and a good bit of cursing, I discovered that the button to return to letters is located waaaay in the upper left, just below the escape key. It is of the devil. And don't even get me started about where the shift buttons and apostrophe are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home