6.5.05

racing away, in my mind

it's friday, 5:30pm, sunny and warm. plus I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow and still need to pack. how much do I not want to be at work right now? can you justify leaving early to go home and pack if your trip is work-related? I would think so. okay, I'd have plenty of time to pack except that I'm going to that Adult. show tonight (see previous post about winning tickets, which I'm obviously still glowing about).

I love going to Japan, it's one of the cool perks of my job. the food is amazing, the trains are on time, the people are frighteningly polite. this time I'll be staying in Ebina, which is about a half hour outside of Yokohama by train. I even like the 12-hour plane trip (though it helps that I'm not particularly tall). In fact, ever since I was a kid I've loved traveling by plane. When I was young my dad worked for an oil company (ARAMCO) and we lived in Saudi Arabia, so long distance plane travel was a fact of life. I loved the mysteriousness of airports in foreign countries, the in-flight movies, getting to choose my drink from the drink cart, and the fact that my mom would buy my sister and I all sorts of little comics, toys, etc. to keep us busy during the flight. She also would dope us up with Dramamine, ostensibly so we wouldn't get motion sick, but now I know better; sleepy kids makes for tension-free flying. I blame her, in part, for my affinity for the effects of OTC medications. sudafed to perk you up, benedryl to help you sleep, a little melatonin for some wacked out dreams--makes me feel a little like Elvis (though I swear I'm not a pill popper).


so, depending on my internet access I may or may not be posting for a week or so. but! with the prevalence of internet cafes and my handy little wireless internet USB thingie, I believe I'll get to stay in contact. And this time, no Japanese keyboards that mysteriously freak out and turn my text into kanji.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home