hum
I noticed shortly after arriving in france that my laptop felt funny. When I'd slide my finger across the brushed aluminum surface, it felt like it was vibrating. And every so often I felt a little sting, like a hair was pulled out of my forearm.
Turns out I'm getting shocked by my laptop. Apparently, 220 volt electricity is a wee too much for the transformer, thus some phantom charge seeps into the metal casing and then into me. It's mildly exhilirating, like the electrified hot baths they have in Japan, but also unsettling. The laptop feels alive.
So now I'm running on battery for long stretches, then shutting it down and plugging it in to recharge. It's a good excuse to take a break, walk outside and focus my eyes on something far off in the distance.
Turns out I'm getting shocked by my laptop. Apparently, 220 volt electricity is a wee too much for the transformer, thus some phantom charge seeps into the metal casing and then into me. It's mildly exhilirating, like the electrified hot baths they have in Japan, but also unsettling. The laptop feels alive.
So now I'm running on battery for long stretches, then shutting it down and plugging it in to recharge. It's a good excuse to take a break, walk outside and focus my eyes on something far off in the distance.



3 Comments:
That's kind of exciting. I've been shocked for real a few times. It's always a little disturbing and exciting at the same time.
something about this makes me grin...not the thought of you getting electrocuted, of course, just something about the way you write about getting electrocuted
even though I'm back in the U.S., sometimes I still imagine I can feel the vibrations beneath my fingertips. Maybe I miss it ever so slightly.
Post a Comment
<< Home