17.3.09

he fought the good fight

I could have been a sailor
Could have been a cook


on multiple occasions I've accidentally worn orange on st. patrick's day, orange being the political opposite of green and assumed by the protestant minority in protest. It's pure coincidence, I think, as it just happens to be my favorite color. Still...best that I stay away from any sensitive Irish folk. By other coincidence, there is a town by my former surname located (you guessed it) in northern Ireland. As far as I know, it's* geneology (etymology? nomology?) is indeed English.

I could have been a signpost
Could have been a clock


this patrick's day was a double-whammy, what with the orange t-shirt under the orange zip-up. St. Patrick himself was mortally offended, so far as I can tell, as my day was cursed like a wretched snake. At age 31 and some odd days, st. patrick's day 2009, my brain has ceased to function normally. Math and science have turned into letters and symbols and every equation reads like greek or russian. I feel like a one-trick pony who forgot the trick. Coincidentally, a friend told me today that our brains peak at age 22. So it goes. The long slide into obsolescence.

In accordance with that, Josh was talking about losing grasp of simple grammar. I feel you. I keep messing up my homophones lately. No and know. It's and its. I still have control of their/they're/there. For now.

At any rate, I've no backup plan so I guess I have to see if I can fake it into a career before I reach the dodo threshold. Something in government, perhaps. The pay is low, but the benefits, I hear, are good, ah ha ha! assuming the gov't doesn't go bankrupt before I retire in thirty-five forty years.

Best not to look at the current trajectory of the national debt, methinks.

As simple as a kettle
Steady as a rock


I'd be a good mail carrier. Or one of those people who paints the lines on the road. "steady as she goes, ace. Don't get all waggly on us."


*proof of the softening mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I heart Nick Drake

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mail carrier was good enough for bukowski. (or was it?)

anyway: first day of spring and it is snowing right now. yay.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home