prefixes and music philosophy
I found a bunch of posts in my drafts folder that for various reasons I never posted. I may resurrect some and give them some context.
-----
October 2008 - conversation with Alex, via email
AK: "My main beef with 'post-rock' is that it's just lazy and uncreative. Why define something in terms of what it isn't?"
JW: "this: 'Why define something in terms of what it isn't?' is so good I will most likely steal it at some point. I'll do my best to give credit where it's due. And on that note, I give one of the best words ever: antidisestablishmentarianism. How can one be antidis- anything? I am officially anti-antidisestab...etc.
Actually, when I look up what that means it turns out the anti's were for the separation of church and state in England. So I guess I'm pro-antidisestablishmentarianism. I'm going to make up business cards that say so."
AK: "I think that's actually the Democrat's official platform. From here on out, I am describing them as Post-Republicans.
The case has been made that it is the best possible name for a punk band:
'Anti-' (anti-system, antisect, anti-cimex, anti-flag, anti-nowhere league, [just] anti)
'dis-' (discharge, disorder, disarm, [and millions of dis-clone bands...] disgust, discider, dischange, disclose, disfear [what?], disrupt, diswasher)... 'establishment'... 'ism'... you get the idea... It just needs a 'hell' or a 'bastard' in there somewhere and it will be the start of the punk singularity."
-----
October 2008 - conversation with Alex, via email
AK: "My main beef with 'post-rock' is that it's just lazy and uncreative. Why define something in terms of what it isn't?"
JW: "this: 'Why define something in terms of what it isn't?' is so good I will most likely steal it at some point. I'll do my best to give credit where it's due. And on that note, I give one of the best words ever: antidisestablishmentarianism. How can one be antidis- anything? I am officially anti-antidisestab...etc.
Actually, when I look up what that means it turns out the anti's were for the separation of church and state in England. So I guess I'm pro-antidisestablishmentarianism. I'm going to make up business cards that say so."
AK: "I think that's actually the Democrat's official platform. From here on out, I am describing them as Post-Republicans.
The case has been made that it is the best possible name for a punk band:
'Anti-' (anti-system, antisect, anti-cimex, anti-flag, anti-nowhere league, [just] anti)
'dis-' (discharge, disorder, disarm, [and millions of dis-clone bands...] disgust, discider, dischange, disclose, disfear [what?], disrupt, diswasher)... 'establishment'... 'ism'... you get the idea... It just needs a 'hell' or a 'bastard' in there somewhere and it will be the start of the punk singularity."



1 Comments:
Haha... "Post-Republicans". I totally forgot about that one, but it's so good.
Look at me laughing at my own joke...
Post a Comment
<< Home