auto show, day 1
I was talking to katie about how I wish I could ride my bike to the auto show: I just adore the irony. As it is I'm taking the bus, so that must be worth something.
the preview days of the auto show are so interesting for people watching. Lots of media folk, sharp-dressed car designers with funny glasses, giant fancy TV cameras on swinging booms. And lots of engineers, god bless 'em, looking under hoods and measuring whoknowswhat with a pair of calipers*. Yesterday, I saw two pairs of business casual legs sticking out from under a car (were they looking at the exhaust? just needed a nap?).
Like last year, Mazda has the sexiest concept vehicle. They've been designing their concepts based upon wind flow and the shapes of flames.
This is possibly the most overwhelming marketing event one could go to, at least on par with a consumer electronics show. Giant video screens and pounding bass, enough flashing lights to induce seizures. Land Rover had a video sequence alternately showing their new vehicle and scantily-clad men and women sprinting to nowhere. I never quite got the connection, but obviously it made an impression.
*I am just as guilty of this. I bring an ultrasonic thickness gauge to measure glass thickness.
the preview days of the auto show are so interesting for people watching. Lots of media folk, sharp-dressed car designers with funny glasses, giant fancy TV cameras on swinging booms. And lots of engineers, god bless 'em, looking under hoods and measuring whoknowswhat with a pair of calipers*. Yesterday, I saw two pairs of business casual legs sticking out from under a car (were they looking at the exhaust? just needed a nap?).
Like last year, Mazda has the sexiest concept vehicle. They've been designing their concepts based upon wind flow and the shapes of flames.
This is possibly the most overwhelming marketing event one could go to, at least on par with a consumer electronics show. Giant video screens and pounding bass, enough flashing lights to induce seizures. Land Rover had a video sequence alternately showing their new vehicle and scantily-clad men and women sprinting to nowhere. I never quite got the connection, but obviously it made an impression.
*I am just as guilty of this. I bring an ultrasonic thickness gauge to measure glass thickness.



4 Comments:
How wrong is it that I grew up and still live in Detroit and have NEVER been to the auto show? The crowds have always put me off, but not I fear over-sensitizing as well...
I love it that you're taking the bus to the auto show.
alissa: never met you, heard a lot about you, but nothing wrong with never being at the car show. i lived 45 minutes from detroit for 24 years, never went. nothing wrong, i say.
john: it's not a camera boom. it's a jib or a crane, depending on size. the boom is a microphone. stop being so fucking stupid. stick to glass.
word verification: zivubtjr. who doesn't need one of those?
b-dub, you're a jib.
boo-f'ing-oom.
alissa, don't go evenings or weekends. Don't. The crowds are horrendous and overwhelming, even to me.
churlita, it was interesting to wonder how many of the other people on the bus either: (a) owned a car (b) planned to go to the auto show. My guess is a low percentage on both counts.
Post a Comment
<< Home