30.12.07

the time to rise has been engaged

it is done. Bring on the bubbly!

Okay, it's done other than the mailing. So, barring some freak snowstorm that renders me unable to go to kinko's and print everything out, by tomorrow morning I'll have mailed in my application and will be an official applicant-in-waiting to get into the ph.d. program. Writing my Statement of Purpose was easy: I just talked about what I wanted to research. Writing my Personal Statement was more difficult. I'd have thought writing endlessly about myself on this weblog would make it easier, but it's really not. Perhaps I should have been drinking more while writing it? Katie thought so.

However, as my former (and maybe future) research advisor once said, "Our society does not reward modesty." So, I had to explain, in five hundred words or less, why I think I'd be a badass researcher for sustainable transportation. Is is even possible to cram that sort of information into a single page? No, not really. In fact, I'm not even sure who reads these things. How can one write properly if the audience is unknown? (I shout into the unanswering void)

Eh. Probably doesn't matter a whit. The people who know me already know me. The major question is not whether I would be admitted, but whether there is research funding available.

So! Happy New Year to all--may it be exceedingly rad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home