let us all go back to the old landmark
two stories; unrelated, except in my own mind:
A chinese co-worker is traveling to japan with me on saturday. it's his first trip there, and we'll be doing some of the traveling together and some apart. I was getting the impression that he is feeling intimidated by it, even excluding historical japanese-chinese relations. Yesterday he was nervously reminding me that we need to get contact cell phone numbers before we leave, and today I saw him poring over an on-line map of Yokohama station. I suggested to him that this afternoon we could sit down and plan out our schedules and how to get around. "Good, good. PERFECT." was his enthusiastic reply.
My roommate (newly acquired, just two weeks ago) came home late last night from his new job serving at a slightly upscale, overly-decorated chain restaurant that attempts to give its diners the feeling of the south pacific. It's one of those typical suburban restaurants that has acres of blacktop parking and my mother adores for its "atmosphere" and slight twists on mediocre food. So he's telling me all about his training process and how intense it is and showing me each piece of nametag bling* he's gotten thus far and telling me what he did to get them. He told a story to his trainee supervisor earlier in the evening about his previous serving job and how the other servers disliked him because he worked too hard. The supervisor said to him, "Welcome home."
"I finally feel like I fit in somewhere," he said to me.
*you know the accessories that the jennifer aniston character has to wear in office space? that sort of thing. little brass pins in various shapes, like a hammer or a shark or the letters WIT, which apparently stand for "Whatever It Takes." yeah.
A chinese co-worker is traveling to japan with me on saturday. it's his first trip there, and we'll be doing some of the traveling together and some apart. I was getting the impression that he is feeling intimidated by it, even excluding historical japanese-chinese relations. Yesterday he was nervously reminding me that we need to get contact cell phone numbers before we leave, and today I saw him poring over an on-line map of Yokohama station. I suggested to him that this afternoon we could sit down and plan out our schedules and how to get around. "Good, good. PERFECT." was his enthusiastic reply.
My roommate (newly acquired, just two weeks ago) came home late last night from his new job serving at a slightly upscale, overly-decorated chain restaurant that attempts to give its diners the feeling of the south pacific. It's one of those typical suburban restaurants that has acres of blacktop parking and my mother adores for its "atmosphere" and slight twists on mediocre food. So he's telling me all about his training process and how intense it is and showing me each piece of nametag bling* he's gotten thus far and telling me what he did to get them. He told a story to his trainee supervisor earlier in the evening about his previous serving job and how the other servers disliked him because he worked too hard. The supervisor said to him, "Welcome home."
"I finally feel like I fit in somewhere," he said to me.
*you know the accessories that the jennifer aniston character has to wear in office space? that sort of thing. little brass pins in various shapes, like a hammer or a shark or the letters WIT, which apparently stand for "Whatever It Takes." yeah.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home