11.12.04

Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart

A post on a web journal I read often (and enjoy like cake and ice cream--it's that good) got me singing Last Christmas by Wham! God Bless that song, it makes up for all the times you hear that wretched Do They Know It's Christmas fundraiser song, which is the worst musical sin Bono has ever been a part of.

For me Last Christmas is forever associated with Shawn, the guitarist for New Grenada. They were playing a show at the Lager House in Detroit last year right before Christmas. The stage was decorated with Christmas lights and one of those bizarre blinking deer skeletons. beautiful. In the middle of the set, Shawn starts a track on the Casio and grabs the mic and does this creepy on-point version of Last Christmas. I smiled for a week. Now when I hear the song, I have visions of his grinning, bearded face bouncing around on stage--it's all quite surreal. I think later the deer was kicked into the crowd and mashed into an abstract collection of bent wire and blinking lights, but that may have been a different show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home