5.12.05

shichinin no samurai

this is priceless. I am doing a joint presentation with this guy I've worked with in the past, Takabayashi-san. he is a fun, quirky guy by japanese standards. for example, in the first presentation I ever saw him give his title slide showed a mini cooper surfing on a big wave (a photoshop creation because he drives a mini cooper). quite humorous, especially compared to the typically stoic japanese engineer.

for our joint presentation, he had a "secret" slide that he wanted to use, with my permission. This is what he wanted to put on the final "Questions?" slide:

he drew it. yep, that's me with the six-shooter and he in full samurai regalia. as you can see, he's got my back. hell yes we're going to use that in our presentation tomorrow. I'm soooo glad I get to work with him. oh, and, like myself, he carries a pocketwatch, which makes him illimitably cool in my eyes.

as an interesting cultural aside, it's curious to see how he views me (a westerner) and how I appear in caricature. For example, I don't think I have a particularly pointy nose, but compared to a japanese guy I do (their noses tend to be broader, flatter, rounder). thus, in his drawing I've got quite the angular features.

it's the little things.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, that did totally make my day!

Seeing you as a gunslinger makes me laugh just about as much as seeing Evan as a gunslinger.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow, I never would have thought that "illimitably" was a word.

Snort some wasabi for me, baby.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Long_Division said...

The only thing cooler than a pocket watch is a monacle. Someone with a pocket watch and a monacle??? Epitome of cool.

11:27 AM  
Blogger j-dub said...

hm...is illimitably a word? I might have made it up. I tend to do that.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home