All of the Songs on the Radio / Are Suddenly Speaking to Me
"Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable, or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?"
That quote (paraphrase really) from High Fidelity is humorous but also quite pointed because it has definite bearing in reality. The Ani DiFranco lyric in the title of this post also comes to mind. I think we all go through periods where music means more to us--the lyrics more true, the chords more powerful. And I suppose I'm no different than anyone else, this usually occurs with large life changes or emotional turmoil (good or bad). And I know for damn sure that certain music can enhance my mood (make me more excited and energetic, more melancholy and brooding, etc.). I think that's half the reason for listening to music, no? It can make your highs higher and your lows lower--either of which can be beneficial or detrimental.
But the above quote begs the question: can music fundamentally shift my mood? In my experience, not really. Music is a temporal experience, affecting me differently depending on my situation when I hear it. Likewise, I choose my music depending on my situation. I mean, no one wants to hear "Walkin' On Sunshine" when their dog dies, y'know? Likewise, Elliott Smith isn't the best for a party. Not exactly dancing music.
All this to say (a bit shallow and off track): whatever you do, when making a mix CD for a friend, end it on a high note. You can't leave people dragging. Nick Drake taught me this on his albums Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left. Lots of brooding songs on each, but each with a glimmer of hope and brightness in the last track ("From the Morning" and "Saturday Sun," respectively). Those are two of my favorite songs.
That quote (paraphrase really) from High Fidelity is humorous but also quite pointed because it has definite bearing in reality. The Ani DiFranco lyric in the title of this post also comes to mind. I think we all go through periods where music means more to us--the lyrics more true, the chords more powerful. And I suppose I'm no different than anyone else, this usually occurs with large life changes or emotional turmoil (good or bad). And I know for damn sure that certain music can enhance my mood (make me more excited and energetic, more melancholy and brooding, etc.). I think that's half the reason for listening to music, no? It can make your highs higher and your lows lower--either of which can be beneficial or detrimental.
But the above quote begs the question: can music fundamentally shift my mood? In my experience, not really. Music is a temporal experience, affecting me differently depending on my situation when I hear it. Likewise, I choose my music depending on my situation. I mean, no one wants to hear "Walkin' On Sunshine" when their dog dies, y'know? Likewise, Elliott Smith isn't the best for a party. Not exactly dancing music.
All this to say (a bit shallow and off track): whatever you do, when making a mix CD for a friend, end it on a high note. You can't leave people dragging. Nick Drake taught me this on his albums Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left. Lots of brooding songs on each, but each with a glimmer of hope and brightness in the last track ("From the Morning" and "Saturday Sun," respectively). Those are two of my favorite songs.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home